The prostate is a gland. It helps make semen, the fluid that contains sperm. The
prostate surrounds the tube that carries urine away from the bladder and out of
the body. A young man's prostate is about the size of a walnut. It slowly grows
larger with age. If it gets too large, it can cause problems. This is very
common after age 50. The older men get, the more likely they are to have
prostate trouble. Most prostate problems are not cancer. Having a problem with
your prostate does not raise your chance of getting prostate cancer.
Some common problems are
Prostatitis - an infection, usually caused by bacteria
Benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH - an enlarged prostate, which may cause
dribbling after urination or a need to go often, especially at night
Prostate cancer - a common cancer that responds best to treatment when detected
and treated early.
Acute prostatitis is a bacterial infection. It usually starts all of a sudden.
It can cause fever, chills, or pain in the lower back and between the legs. It
might hurt when you urinate.
Chronic bacterial prostatitis is an infection that comes back again and again.
Chronic abacterial prostatitis, also known as Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CPPS),
is a common prostate problem and occurs mostly in young to middle-aged men. It
causes pain in the lower back, between the legs, or at the tip of the penis. Men
with this problem often have painful ejaculation and need to urinate frequently.
Very few men die from prostate cancer. Treatment for prostate cancer works best
when the disease is found early and has not spread to other parts of your body.
Your chance of getting prostate cancer may be affected by your:
Age. Being 50 or older increases your chance of prostate cancer.
Family history. If your father or brother has had prostate cancer, you are more
likely to have it too.
Diet. Eating high-fat food with few fruits and vegetables may increase your
chance of having prostate cancer.
Diagnosing Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer in the begining often does not cause symptoms. As the cancer
grows, you may have trouble urinating. You may need to urinate often, especially
at night. Some men have pain or burning during urination, blood in the urine or
semen, pain in the back, hips, or pelvis, and painful ejaculation.
To find out if these symptoms are caused by prostate cancer, your doctor will
ask about your past medical problems, will perform a physical exam ( your doctor
will put a gloved finger into your rectum to feel your prostate for hard or
lumpy areas), may also do a blood test to check the prostate-specific antigen (PSA)
level. PSA levels may be high in men who have an enlarged prostate gland or
prostate cancer. You may also need an ultrasound exam that takes computer
pictures of the prostate. If tests show that you might have cancer, biopsy is
needed to confirm this.
Following can be signs of a prostate problem:
Frequent urge to urinate
Need to get up many times during the night to urinate
Blood in urine or semen
Painful or burning urination
Not being able to urinate
Frequent pain or stiffness in lower back, hips, pelvic or rectal area, or upper
Dribbling of urine
If you have any of these symptoms, see your doctor right away.
AGNUSCASTUS- Discharge of prostatic juice when straining at stool.
- Pressive pains deep in pelvis (in prostate). Pressive pains in bladder and
prostate, deep in the pelvis, the next morning and forenoon, after coitus.
- On walking, after the morning stool, many drawing stitches in the anus, more
on the left side and forward to the region of the prostate gland and vesiculae
- Hard evacuation, followed by discharge of a milk-like prostatic fluid.
ORIENTALE - Discharge of the prostatic juice, with natural stool.
Discharge of the prostatic juice, with difficult stool. Discharge of the
prostatic juice, after emission of urine.
MURICATUM - Frequent seminal and prostatic losses.
Constipation : rectum loaded, faeces will not come away; ribbon-like stools from
enlarged prostate or retroverted uterus.
- Discharge of prostatic juice, with diarrhoeic stool.
- Prostatic juice comes out of the penis, which is relaxed.
- Diseases of old men; hypertrophied prostate or indurated testes.
BELLADONNA - Discharge of prostatic juice.
Discharge of prostatic juice from a relaxed penis.
- Enuresis nocturna of delicate children; dribbling urine of old men with enlarged
prostate; strong characteristic odor; excesses of uric acid.
BROMIUM - Pressure in the prostate gland
when walking. (Walking),Pressure in prostate gland;palpitation;stiffness in
front of thigh;weakness.
- Prostatic fluid flows after the urine. Prostatic fluid is discharged after the
stool, and after the urine.
PHOSPHORICA - Frequent and urgent desire to urinate, in the forenoon.
The water pretty clear, and the aggregate quantity large. The water passed in a
feeble stream, occupying considerable time. After all had passed, considerable
soreness of the bladder, followed by frequent micturition. Troubles of the
bladder arising from overdistension.
- Excessive discharge of prostatic fluid, at night, during a hard evacuation.
- Swelling of the prostate gland.
VESICATORIA - Feeling of heat in urethra, with slight constriction at
- Discharge of prostatic fluid, when straining at stool.
- Diminished discharge of urine, with dull sensation in the perineum, and often,
during stool, drops of prostatic juice at the orifice of the urethra. Even on
going to stool, there is erection of the penis, and with pressure to stool not
seldom prostatic fluid is discharged.
CAUSTICUM - Passage of prostatic fluid after
- Dull transient pain in the prostate, frequently repeated through the day.
- At close of micturition, a slight milky discharge(prostatic), attended with a
smarting or burning sensation at orifice of urethra;afterwards, cutting pains
below the bladder (in sphincter vesicae, or region of prostate gland).
- Intense itching on the scrotum and lower part of the penis, extending to the
prostate gland, and also on the inner surface of the prepuce, about noon.
Great difficulty in voiding urine; flow intermits, then flows again; prostatic
or uterine affections. Discharge of prostatic fluid. Discharge of prostatic
fluid on every change of emotion, without voluptuous thoughts, with itching of
- Inflammation of the urinary passages and adjacent parts. It has also been
known to cause inflammation of the urethra, retention of urine, phlegmasia of
the bladder, of the prostate, the anus, and the rectum.
- Prostatitis; the gland feels enlarged to finger in rectum; perineum tender;
last drops of urine passed with pain; after micturition, sensation as if bladder
still contained water.
- Dark-red urine;burning pain at the orifice of the urethra during and after
urinating; white purulent discharge from the urethra;soreness of the penis, with
pain in the prostate gland;redness of the lips of the urethra, with tingling and
burning;agglutination of the lips of the urethra; perspiration of the scrotum,
which is constantly moist and damp;soreness of the under surface of the penis
CURARE - Prostatic discharge after
- Discharge of prostatic fluid, after urinating.
- Continued discharge of prostatic fluid.
- Sexual desire suppressed, then excited, with lewd dreams, and pollutions;
discharge of prostatic fluid from slight causes.
OFFICINARUM - Discharge of prostatic fluid from the relaxed penis.
Voluptuous itching on the prepuce that obliges rubbing, with discharge of
- While thinking in a perfectly chaste and pleasant way about a girl whom he
considers beautiful, there passed some drops of prostatic fluid.
- A kind of nervous fluctuating and jerking pain in the left half of the penis,
in the region of the prostate, very often repeated.
POLYCEPHALUM - Very frequent, but slight evanescent pains in the
region of the prostate.
- In functional derangements of the prostate, frequent and profuse urination,
the urine being very pale and watery, or containing a deposit of the amorphous
- Discharge of prostatic fluid at times during the stool.
HIPPOMANES - Soft stool, with vomiting and
discharge of fluid (prostatic) from the urethra after micturition.
ASIATICA - Feeling of weight in the prostate gland.
- While urging at stool much mucus(prostatic fluid)from the urethra.
IODIUM - Hypertrophy and induration of
glandular tissue_thyroid, mammae, ovaries, testes, uterus, prostate or other
glands_breasts may dwindle and become flabby.
- Escape of prostatic fluid at stool. Sticking pain in the prostate gland,
extremely violent and preventing walking, in the afternoon.
- Bathing the parts in ice-water gives relief.
- Discharge of milky, odorless, flocculent fluid(prostatic fluid), after
NITRICUM - Acute stitches in the region of the prostate gland while
- Pressure upon the bladder to urinate with emission of some semen(prostatic
fluid), which looked milky.
- Discharge of prostatic fluid without cause. Discharge of prostatic fluid,
without erections, with great lasciviousness. Tension and pain in the prostate
LYSSINUM - Prostatic juice passes after
urinating. Without being preceded by an erection there is a discharge of
prostatic fluid, smelling salty and musty; the glans penis is dry. Burning and
tenesmus as if in prostatic gland and in urethra; in afternoon. Afternoon: very
severe headache; dull pain in forehead, with stupid feeling; pressing in vertex
and forehead; dull pain in forehead; sick headache; dull heavy pain in head;
headache, with nausea and sore pain around heart; stinging pressure behind ears;
ranula, with dryness of mouth aggravated ; stinging in chest, with palpitation;
sour belching; erections; itching and burning on corona glandis; burning and
tenesmus as if in prostatic gland and in urethra; increased peristaltic motion
of scrotum; first hours pain in testicles aggravated ; pain in wounded left arm;
pain in shoulder joint; whole body trembles; drowsy; starting in sleep; fever. Burning and tenesmus in region of prostate and down urethra.
CARBONICUM - Discharge of prostatic fluid during emission of flatus.
MAGNETISPOLIAMBO - Lascivious dreams, even during the
siesta, with discharge of the prostatic fluid.
MEDORRHINUM - Frequent urination with
slight burning at the meatus; dull heavy ache in the region of the prostate;
very sore in perineum extending to rectum; frenum red and swollen.
- Acute affections of prostate after maltreated stricture.
- Prostatic fluid passes with a difficult stool. Prostatic fluid passes with the
- Discharge of prostatic fluid, with lascivious thoughts, without excitement of
fantasy or of the sexual organs, and without erections.
- Discharge of prostatic fluid after a difficult stool. Some drops of thin
mucus, not stringy like prostatic fluid, are discharged from the urethra after
urinating. Sexual excitement, during which there was much discharge of prostatic
fluid. After stool, sticking and scraping in rectum;discharge of prostatic
fluid;burning and itching in anus;smarting in rectum;nausea;exhaustion.
OLEUMANIMALEAETHEREUM - Pressure in the region of the
- Burning tearing in the left testicle, and burning in the prostate gland, with
PHOSPHORUS - Discharge of prostatic fluid
during a hard stool. Moisture in the orifice of the urethra, as from prostatic
fluid. Oozing of some prostatic or urethral mucus from the urethra, while the
genitals were relaxed.
- A gurgling sensation in the prostate gland, repeatedly in the afternoon.
- Induration of the prostate.
HYDROPIPEROIDES - Pulsative pain in region of prostate gland,
occasionally extending along the urethra, continuing for half an hour . Burning
sensation in prostate gland. When voiding urine, slight pain apparently in
PSORINUM - Discharge of prostatic fluid
before urinating. Discharge of prostatic fluid after urination, but
especially after a difficult stool (also almost constant dripping of the same).
Induration and enlargement of the prostatic gland.
- Felt a strange uneasiness in the bladder and prostate. Heat in the region of
PRATENSIS - Frequent erections, with discharge of prostatic fluid.
Agreeable tickling on the glans penis, followed by discharge of a colorless
liquid like prostatic fluid.
- Sympathetic swellings, extending from the groins to the knees, with prostatic
flux and great wasting, as from decomposition of the blood.
- Erections slow, insufficient, too rapid emission with long-continued thrill;
weak, ill-humored after coitus, often involuntary dribbling of semen and
prostatic fluid which oozes while sitting, at stool, during sleep; gleet (Calad.).
Dribbling of prostatic fluid. While sitting a drop of prostatic fluid passes
from the orifice of the urethra with a peculiar disagreeable sensation.
- Prostate gland enlarged, feels hard and swollen to the touch.
- Discharge of prostatic fluid, after micturition. Discharge of prostatic fluid
with every difficult stool.
- Dragging from the prostate gland forward. Discharge of prostatic fluid with
every stool. Discharge of prostatic fluid while straining at stool.
- Prostatic fluid presses out of the orifice of the urethra.
STAPHISAGRIA - Urging to urinate, has to sit
at urinal for hours; in young married women; after coition; after difficult
labor (Op.); burning in urethra when not urinating; urging and pain after
urinating in prostatic troubles of old men; prolapse of bladder. Discharge
of prostatic fluid during the evacuation of a hard stool.
SULPHUR - Dribbling of prostatic fluid in
long threads from the urethra after micturition and stool. Discharge of
- Pain behind the symphysis, frequent desire to urinate, and cutting pains when
urinating;the catheter met with an obstruction in the region of the neck of the
bladder, which, on examination through the rectum, was found to be a swollen and
extremely sensitive prostate.
TABACUM - Dysuria and enlarged prostate.
Discharge of prostatic fluid.
- Constant sexual excitement, which nothing can control;sufferings of the
prostate, debilitating sweats, unconquerable sadness, and stupidity;erotism.
Lasciviousness ;constant sexual excitement at the sight of obscene
objects;onanism, followed by prostatic sufferings.
- Discharge of prostatic fluid in tenacious threads, in the morning after
waking. A tensive aching in the prostate gland and testicles. Voluptuous fancies
and erection, with discharge of prostatic fluid, while lying down.
- Increased secretion from the prostatic glands.
- Difficult evacuation of soft stool, with emission of prostatic fluid. Profuse
emission of prostatic fluid, without apparent cause.